FLIPPED CLASSROOM WORKSHOP
12:00 – 12:30 AM Introductions, Getting to Know the Flipped Classroom
- 4 Focal Areas:
- Content engagement
- Changing how you use class time
- Overcoming obstacles and objections
- Workshop Outcomes
- Awareness of an array of techniques and tools to deliver and help ensure that students engage with digital learning content
- Learn how to create “screencasts” with the Smartboard and Windows Movie Maker
- Awareness of a variety of techniques help ensure that screencasts are engaging
- Be prepared to overcome various obstacles and possible objections to implemented flipped instruction
- Easing in: A little flip can go a long way
- Why I Flipped my Classroom by Katie Gumbar (in a nutshell – enabling differentiation!)
12:30 – 1:15 Tools & Techniques to deliver flipped content and help ensure that students engage with it!
CONTENT can be any digital materials – documents, pictures, videos, web sites, podcasts, etc., and custom interactive content you create using digital tools. YOU decide what content you will use to create a digital lesson.
(Complete ‘3 Minute Teaching Tool-Torial’ Video Series: http://www.emergingedtech.com/3-minute-teaching-with-technology-tip-video-tutorial-series/).
- Notes (Outlines, Complete, Cornell, etc.)
- WSQ – http://www.flippedclassroomworkshop.com/5-reasons-why-i-love-the-wsq-watch-summarize-question-method/
- KWL – http://www.flippedclassroomworkshop.com/using-the-k-w-l-method-to-help-ensure-content-engagement-in-the-flipped-classroom/
- “Easter Eggs”
- Working through example problems (written on paper or online, or online via an interactive tool/process)
- Associating credit/points with completion of this work
- Questions or Quizzes – embedded (tools: EduCanon, EdPuzzle, ed.ted.com, etc.)
- Reflective Post & Discussions
1:15 – 1:45 Creating Video Lessons Using the SMART Board & Windows Movie Maker
- Article summazing techniques: An Easy Way to Create Flipped Lessons if you Have a SMART Board
- Recording lessons using the SMART Board
- Editing lessons using Windows Movie Maker
- Techniques for Good Screencasts:
– BREAK –
2:00 – 2:20 Evolving How You Use Class Time
- Review and Reinforce
- Active Learning (http://www.emergingedtech.com/2013/11/flipping-the-classroom-facilitates-these-5-active-learning-methods-and-much-more/)
- Inquiry Learning, Experiential Learning, Constructivism, etc.
- Project Based Learning (good article: The Difference Between Projects And Project-Based Learning)
- Maker Movement: Students Creating Presentations, Demonstrations, Lessons, and more!
- Group Activities
- Interactive Resources for Flipped and Active Math Learning
- Aaron Sams – Flipped Classroom: The Next Step
- Consider student screencasting as a peer instruction and mastery learning construct
- Mastery Learning – http://www.flippedclassroomworkshop.com/flipping-awesome-enabling-mastery-learning-in-the-flipped-classroom/
- Peer Instruction – http://www.flippedclassroomworkshop.com/peer-instruction-and-flipped-learning-perfect-together/
2:20 – 2:30 Creating a Well-Rounded Lesson
Be sure to consider:
- What is the topic you are creating this flipped lesson for?
- How you will introduce the learning material (in class) that they will consume outside of class?
- What specific content (videos, text, audio?) will students be required to consume for this lesson?
- How will you deliver the content to the students?
- What measures will you employ to help ensure that students engage with the content?
- How will now you use the valuable face-to-face classroom time you have made available in the next class session?
2:30 – 2:45 Overcoming Objections & Objections
- Technology Limitations – Students with limited access to content: http://www.flippedclassroomworkshop.com/how-to-make-sure-students-have-access-to-flipped-learning-content/
- Embrace Administration!
- Explain to your administrators what you are doing and seek their buy-in, so they can be prepared to help overcome objections that parents (and other teachers) may have
- Example Parent Letters
- Todd Nelsoney (English) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uqiDznW6T24f320Q7P4mnpktManh_Loj0tcsSfUlI18/edit
- Todd Nelsoney (English)
- Parent Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxOmnsifzEs
- Getting Your Peers on Board – Overcoming Misperceptions
2:45 – 3:00 WRAP UP & Resources for Continuing your Flipped Learning Journey
- Flipped Classroom Workshop page on Facebook:
- EmergingEdTech on Social Media (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram)
- Twitter Hashtags #flipclass and #flippedlearning
- My book (working on a new series to update this):
- 4 Week Online Flipped Classroom Workshop (next one in July):
(DISCOUNT for Saranac Lake educators – just $199!)
- Bergmann and Sams Books:
- Bergmann and Sams – Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day
- Bergmann and Sams – Flipped Learning: Gateway to Student Engagement
- Bergmann and Sams – Explore additional books and resources here
POST WORKSHOP SURVEY: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/onsitefcw